Pages

Thursday, December 09, 2010

The New Playroom

Hello, welcome to our new playroom!  For Riley's fifth birthday he got bunk beds, which meant that both boys now share a room, leaving Riley's old room free.  Many elements you may remember, as I was able to keep the same paint, curtains, some furniture, etc. 

Let me take you on a tour (there are also more photos on my Flickr site, due to my uploading problems on the blog, so check them out as well)!





This is a little shelf that houses two vintage pieces of needlework.  I found them both while in the process of putting together the room, and they're really perfect for the playroom!

I'll start from the left wall, as you enter, then travel around clockwise...  That red bookshelf is one of only two pieces I had to buy to do the room (from Ikea).  Everything else I already had, in various other rooms.  Above the bookshelf is a wonderful vintage coloring book entitled "Playroom" that I purchased from Elizabeth Holcombe- perfect!!  Close-up photos of it are on the Flickr site... 

Artwork (pages from vintage cloth books) and curtains were all part of Riley's old decor...

The majority of the storage is all along one wall.  The bottom units are also from Ikea (called Trofast), and I already had two, so just had to purchase one extra.  There's just enough room between them to hold a little Lego table we had.  And the top white units I already had as well (purchased at A.C. Moore).  We put up two shelves between them (again, we already had them) for extra storage.

And by the way, yes, we should purchase stock in Fisher Price Imaginext toys!!!

A couple days after I took the original photos, I made this little banner to hang over the storage wall, which is why you don't see it in the other shots.  I simply took a couple of vintage cloth books apart, and sewed the pages into a strip of red seam binding.

And that's it!  I think this is the easiest room re-do I've done, and everything just worked out beautifully!  Everything fit and matched and turned out great, which was a great relief.  And the kids are adjusting really well to the change.  We used to have toys scattered throughout the house, and it's so nice to have a place for them all in here.  And there's room to grow, so once Avery starts accumulating lots of toys, she'll have space for them in here as well.

I hope you've enjoyed the tour.  Again, take a look at Flickr for some more detailed shots and a few other views as well!

4 comments:

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Love your playroom! Such a happy, bright and fun room! The vintage finds add so much charm and the curtains are adorable!!
Michelle

iammommahearmeroar said...

Wow! What a great job. I really like the colors and the vintage decor. Way to go!

GardenOfDaisies said...

FUN!! You have great storage, with a place for everything! I LOVE those vintage needlework pieces on the wall and your cheery red bookshelf!

Love and Lollipops said...

Just found your blog! love your playroom :) Georgia