Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

More Dollhouse Stories

 I told you I wasn't done with my dollhouse stories (although after this post, I'll be done for a bit- until I find another house, I suppose!).  So when I was on vacation and not having any luck finding a vintage house, I got restless and started searching Ebay.  And of course, Ebay never disappoints- I found a Rich Toy Co. house that I liked.  I ended up being the only bidder and got it for a pretty reasonable price (nothing like the $5 Keystone from my last post though!)  Of course, the next day is when I found the Keystone, but hey, I can't complain, since this one is so sweet as well!

I'm just in love with the little benches out in front of the front door!  Other than the broken windows, it is in really nice shape.

 There was wallpaper on several walls and floors, but I was able to remove it with no damage.  These outside walls will have to wait until I want to take the house apart to remove the paper-I don't think I can reach in and get the right angle to remove it at this point. Again, just some miscellaneous furniture in here right now.  The scale of this house is a little smaller, so I'll have to look for some that will fit nicely.

 And as long as we're talking about furnishing dollhouses, this is one I bought last year, that has been without furniture since then.

I adore this house (I'm unable to find any maker's marks on it, so I don't know who made it) because of the beautiful graphics on the inside.

On my trip earlier this month, I found a basket full of miscellaneous plastic dollhouse furniture, enough to come close to furnishing the whole house..., 

as well as my tin Marx one!

 The Marx one sits on a shelf on the other side of my studio that is at a good level for the kids to reach, so I put various "Little People" in there to play with.

Every time I look at it, I think of the above photo, which was from one of my childhood photo albums.  Although I really don't remember this dollhouse very much, apparently I liked playing with them even then!

And here they all are again, with their open sides showing.  I'm finding that dollhouses are very hard to display.  I like the way they look from the front better (like in the photo at the top of this post), but then I can't play with the furniture, etc. without pulling them out and turning them.  

I still have a few more vintage goodies to show you from my trip, as well as some artwork I've done recently.  Yes, I actually took time away from this new dollhouse obsession to do some art!  Even I find that hard to believe- ha ha!!

9 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Those benches completely make that keystone dollhouse a true gem. It's just darling. I think I need my husband to help me reconfigure my craft room with shelves to accommodate my dollhouse collection. I just love how your houses are grouped together.

Lisa said...

Your dollhouses make my heart swoon!

My Vintage Mending said...

I love the way the fronts make it look like a neighborhood. I'll rent the one with the benches please for the summer. It appears to be cooler in your state than mine! I am saving an upcoming post about your book and techniques, you will be so proud. Smiles...Renee

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

Your dollhouse display is just dreamy! I played with a beautiful one when I was little, at Grandma's house...we think it got sold in a garage sale! BOO HOO!
Erica

vintage grey said...

Oh, I so want to come over and play! Love the one with the sweet benches!! Love seeing your sweet dollhouses! xo Heather

Daniele Valois said...

So cute and sweet!!!

Daniele Valois said...

oh I just had a bday a couple weeks ago, and for the first time I sat down and sketchout out a bday painting for me...like you do. I never did get the change to paint it, but it's still in my head. Does it count if it gets painted a month later! I totally thought of you while drawing so I believe you live inside it a bit!

Tazas y Cuentos said...

I love seeing your doll houses and reading such interesting stories about them.
It's reassuring to read that others feel the same... enthusiasm?... obsession? for our treasures...haha. That's what bloggers are for...don't you think so?
Lovely posts!
Besos! Silvina

Anonymous said...

Love it !!!!!!!