Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

Pretty Pastel Redecorating

 I may have mentioned before that we're redecorating our family room.  We bought a new white slipcovered sectional, and are rearranging things around that.  It's been slow-going though.  We tried to sell our old couches (only about 5 years old and in nice shape) for about 2 months on Craigslist, with no luck.  So we've been walking around an extra set of couches crammed in here for that long!  We finally relented and donated them, and it's been so nice to be able to begin the decorating process!
 
 I wanted things lighter and brighter, with pretty colors as accents.  As I searched around and "shopped" my house for accessories, I was mostly coming up with neutral colors. Until I went into my studio...
 
 I've always hesitated putting most of my more "unusual" collections out in the main area of the house.   Most of my guests just don't "get it" and ask why I need so many globes, etc. (you know what I'm talking about!).  Plus, I know my husband would not choose to decorate with doll furniture if he had his way about things!
 
 But these pieces were really just so perfect all together!  They brought such pretty pops of color against the white couch and cream sofa table.  And so far, Hubby hasn't made mention of my things slowly creeping their way into our main living area, so he either doesn't mind or has chosen to remain quiet- both which I can live with- ha ha!
 
 This quilt I found for $3 at a thrift store!  It breaks up the expanse of white on the back of the couch.
 
A couple more thrift store quilts in a wire basket...
 
Such pretty colors!
 
 Here are some more neutral accessories on the top of the table...
 
 A new collection of wire balls is slowly forming here...!  They were all found at HomeGoods and Target.
 
 In the background you can see a shelving unit I'm working on.  I haven't rearranged the artwork on the walls yet, so some of it is a bit covered up!
 
 The other area I've been playing with is the mantle.  We're going to be doing some construction on either side of the fireplace, so I may decide I want something different in the future, but currently, I'm trying this out.
 
 I just picked out all my prettiest, sweetest vintage children's books and lined them up!
 
 The colors make me smile every time I look at them, and as a bonus, the kids have asked to read them more frequently as well!
 
What's your opinion?  Does your family just grin and bear it when it comes to your decorating style?  Do you bring your unusual collections out into the main areas of your house, or are they "banished" to your own section of the house?  It makes me so much happier seeing these things out in the open as part of the décor!
 
So anyway, that's just a look at where I'm going with our family room remodel.  It's still very much in the works, and I don't know when it will be done, but I'll be sure to show you here once it is! 

11 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

You know I'm smitten. Those sweet doll pieces and the quilt is a perfect vignette. Love your vintage book collection too. It's a keeper!

Anonymous said...

I love the vignettes. So cozy and homey! Love the white sofa too. Unfortunately, my hubby doesnt like white furniture so we have to compromise. Luckily, the white dressers my dad built for me when I was a child will be making its way into my studio soon, where I can decorate to my heart's content. Fortunately, he encourages me to display the roomboxes I create, for my collection of ball-jointed dolls, around the house. At first I was worried about people "not getting" my collection of miniature dolls and furnishings but it makes me happy so now I display them proudly in my dining area.

Simply Shelley said...

I think it looks wonderful,and you are really encouraging me to display some of my vintage childrens books too! Maybe my grands will enjoy them more by doing so. I already keep out some of my vintage toys,and dolls for them to play with. They know which ones they can,and can't play with.I can't wait to see when you are all done with your room....blessings

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I just found your blog through Google Images and I'm charmed! I've got a few old doll houses and doll furniture and it's so nice to find somebody else who appreciates them, too. Your studio is wonderful!!

I'm your newest follower. :)

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Corey, I love everything! I'm all about the white slipcovers and light bright happy colors and unusual collections, the cuter the better! And I adore pastels so much! I love your sweet vintage doll furniture collection lined up...so perfect! And the children's books on the mantle with your lovely painting of your sweet babies, so charming!!! My sweet hubby has claimed more than once that he "loves my girly decorating" but he is a modern dark colors guy, so I know how much he must love me! haha! He says he just wants me to be happy. Such a sweet guy. My 4 boys don't seem to mind any of it, either. Thank goodness. I really love my girly pastel decor!
Michelle xoxo

Pam @ Frippery said...

So pretty. I love pastels and old toys! I have a big collection but they are all stashed away in my guest room. You have inspired a redo! Beautiful room Corey.

Winnie said...

Corey, wherever did you find those small old pieces of little furniture?! I used to have 3 very similar pieces which I got rid of a couple of years ago and would love to replace them! You have a lovely touch with putting things together!!

Corey said...

Winnie,
These little dressers were all found on Ebay, or in antique shops. They are vintage doll dressers- if you search under that in Ebay, you'll find lots of them!

Unknown said...

this is the first time I "found' your blog....along a side bar of another blog....anyway, you know what made me come visit???? the colors, the pastels....love them....love the books....love that vintage doll house I spied....omg, so, so pretty!!!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a fabulous collection of doll furniture and childrens books and you have them displayed so beautifully. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will be live Monday evening. www.astrollthrulife.net. Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Ashley @ 3 Little Greenwoods said...

I adore the pastel jewelry boxes and the kindergarten teacher in me wants those children's books! Wonderful and unique!

Ashley @3littlegreenwoods.com