Pages

Monday, March 30, 2015

Wood Photo Project

I am very big about decorating with photos in our house.  Too big, in fact, because I never seem to have enough wall space to hang the photos I want to display!  But sometimes I like a photo so much that I make some concessions with my other décor, and make room for it!
 
This photo is one of those times.  I took it about 6 months ago while we were camping, and I just love it- the lighting is so gorgeous!  So I knew I wanted to hang it somewhere, but was just waiting for inspiration to strike.
 
I'd heard about printing on wood, and I thought that would be the perfect treatment for this particular photo, just because it would add even more warmth to the image.  So, luckily, I got an online coupon (through Living Social or Groupon or one of those- I can't remember) for a print on wood!  I ordered it, and this was the result- if you look closely, you can see the wood grain in the light areas of the photo, as well as in the texture.
 
So then, the question became 'how do I want to display it?'.
 
Enter this pile of reclaimed wood in our garage!  A couple months ago, I bought a whole bunch of reclaimed wood off of craigslist.  Not for any project in particular, but I knew I'd find lots of uses for it! (Oh, and no judgement on the messiness of our garage- that's Hubby's territory- in fact, I'm lucky he's even letting me store this wood in there!)
 
I cut the edges with the mitre saw, and made a frame for it. (It helps that I used to be a custom framer!)  If you look closely, you can see some imperfections with the wood lining up at the corners, but it doesn't bother me a bit- you take what you can get when you're working with old wood!
 
And here it is hanging up.  The chippy wood frame really accents the photo nicely.
 
I love it!


3 comments:

Lisa @ Once Upon A Doll Collection said...

Great picture! I love the frame that you made for it! It looks perfect in that spot!!!

Musings from Kim K. said...

It's perfection with that custom-made picture frame. Your talents never cease to amaze and now I need to get a print done on wood for our lake house!

PS. I managed to give my plantation dollhouse an Easter makeover. Easter hugs!! http://kenward.blogspot.com/2015/03/happy-mail-easter-has-arrived-at.html

Rose Garden Romantic said...

That's a great photo and it looks wonderful on wood and the frame is perfect!