Pages

Sunday, January 09, 2011

Our New Mantle Artwork

Well, I hope everyone had a great holiday season!  Ours was really nice-lots of family time and relaxation time, which was really appreciated by us all.  Not to mention some really nice gifts (can you say Anthropologie gift certificates???).  Obviously, the gift certificates were for me, but let me introduce you to one of my gifts to my husband. 


A new piece of artwork for over our mantle featuring silhouettes of the three kids!

Previously, this is what hung in the space.  I did this piece a couple years ago to represent our family of four.  Well, obviously, we are no longer a family of four, and I've been wanting to update it for a while. 

I took this photo a few months ago on a hotel balcony.  I love how each child is represented, and how each pose really shows their personalities.  Riley is the head of the pack, standing up, showing the others what to do, Noah is trying to keep up with Riley, and Avery is right in there with them, not afraid at all.

So I made a stencil of their images, and created a piece of artwork around it.  On each child, I wrote a single word describing them.  Riley: eager, Noah: sensitive, Avery: sweet.

I had a great time just "playing" with the paint around the focal images, using colors and shapes that just felt "right" to me.   I really need to do more larger pieces, because it's just so much more fun to paint this way!

I have to say that I think I love the piece more than my husband does, but that's okay- it really was a gift to myself anyway (wink, wink!).  He just gets the pleasure of enjoying it, too!

6 comments:

VAKAnomi said...

I just wanted to stop by here in your blog coz I read book called "True Vision Authentic Art Journaling"..I saw your mixed media paintings in that book and it was so inspiring. I got inspiration and many ideas from that piece.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU...I think I have to visit this site more often now when I found you

Hugs,

Mirja From Finland

s a n s k u :) said...

i love it!

ok, this is weird, i'm a finn, the lady who commented first is from finland, the word verification is "pelit" which means games in finnish. :)

Daniele Valois said...

so great. I LOVE it!!! Truly.

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I love the silhouettes! How creative!

Yanet of 3 Sun Kissed Boys

Daniele Valois said...

I was wondering if I could put your book in my sidebar? You have been such an inspiration to me. Years ago when I took the plunge from scrapbooking to mixed media, your book was the first I bought, and it really spoke to me. I loved your unique style, plus I am a mother of three, and art is very personal for me, and all centered around family. I have always loved visiting your blog, and get so excited when you've posted something new! (btw, my family blog is the one I used to post under. The name was ourfamilyvalois! ) I decided to make this new blog to focus on art, photos, and generally anything mothering. It is brand new, and a work in progress. Wow, that was a long comment! Thank you so much for being an inspiration!

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Hi Corey! Glad to hear your family had a wonderful Christmas. Love the new painting!
Michelle