Pages

Friday, February 04, 2011

Get Your Paint On

I'm taking an online painting class taught by Mati McDonough and Lisa Congdon, both artists whom I've admired for a while.  Our first assignment was to do a piece inspired by the Gee's Bend quilts. Oh my, are there some gorgeous pieces there!!

This particular one especially caught my eye.  I LOVE the mixture of the dainty feminine patterns with the bolder geometric patterns- SWOON!  The above painting was my piece inspired by the quilt.  Looking at the two side by side, I definitely prefer the quilt, but I'm fairly happy with the painting as well...!

I'm looking forward to the remainder of the class- I love both teachers' work so much, I'm hoping to glean some of their carefree, whimsical style to incorporate into my own work!

5 comments:

Daniele Valois said...

oh how exciting you're taking that class. I was going to sign up for this as well, but decided it wasn't time for me. I am really excited to see all that you paint, so please post it all!!!

Best,

Daniele

A bird in the hand said...

I love quilts, but in this case I like your painting better!

Agata said...

Great work, I waiting for your next :)

lindaharre said...

Corey....love the work! How did you get into a class by Lisa.....I can't find info about it anywhere? I would love to take a class as well:D Linda

Chelsea Ann said...

wow! I admire your work so much... it's neat to read about how you are still learning and trying fresh new things with your art!