Pages

Wednesday, March 02, 2016

A Little Bit of Progress

I know it probably seems like we're moving at a snail's pace with our move and our renovations of our new house.  But so much of what needs to be done is based more around my husband's expertise than mine, so that means it's done on HIS schedule- ha ha!

But anyway, I've done a little of my own renovating recently.  You may remember the TALL red walls and wood built-ins in our great room.


I debated back and forth about whether I wanted to keep the built-ins as-is or to change them.  Well, as you can see, I decided to change them!  The wood just felt too dark, and I knew it wouldn't work with my general industrial/shabby-chic/eclectic/vintage style.


 I decided to dip my toes into the chalk paint world, and it worked beautifully!  I used a soft aqua color, and distressed it with Vaseline applied before I painted.  I used wax over the top.  I'm crossing my fingers that the surface will hold up as it is supposed to!


When I took the photo, I'd only done one set of shelves, but since then, I've completed them both.  I left the interiors the wood tone, but I'm considering painting them the same offwhite as the walls. 

Any ideas about what you think would look best?

We plan to officially move in about a month, and after that, the decorating will move at a much faster pace!

4 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I missed this post. I love the cabinet makeovers and can't wait to see more of your lovely home. It's a busy time for your family. Best wishes with the official move.

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Looks great!! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a transformation - love it!

Somerset Wedding Girl said...

It's inspiring to see that you've been so productive! The new shelves look so fantastic and I bet you're so excited about styling them!