Pages

Friday, February 08, 2008

What I've Been Doing...

Hi all, I just wanted to show some photos of projects I've worked on in the past month since I last posted. I have to say I'm enjoying the lighter computer usage that I've imposed upon myself lately. It's given me a chance to spend more time with the kids, on my art, and also, just relaxing! So, here's what I've been up to...

A spread for Riley:

This is about his most favorite toy, a tricycle/big wheel sort of bike. He is on that thing constantly- a very good $4 Goodwill purchase!

Paintings of the boys:

I've wanted to do this for quite a while. Riley's is 11x14, just for size reference. Portraits are so hard, because you really have to capture that certain "something" that makes the person who they are, and I really struggled with these. But I think I've finally gotten them to a point I'm happy with, and I know I'll treasure them in the future, when those baby faces have grown into young boys!

A birthday gift for Noah:

A fabric house "bag" with soft block-like things that go inside. This has got to qualify for the "most time ever spent on a sewing project because everything that could go wrong did" award! Boy, it was really a labor of love, but in the end it turned out cute. I guess that's what happens when you just make something up as you go along...

A birthday for Noah:

The little guy turned one this week!

A birthday spread for Noah:

The birthday hat on his head is from the card Jason and I gave him, and the strip of paper down the center is a piece of wrapping paper from one of his gifts.

A project for the future:


I picked this up at Goodwill for $20 yesterday. I just love the detail and styling on it. It's pretty dirty right now, but with a nice distressed paint finish, I think it will be gorgeous!

And that's about it! We've got our Jamaica trip coming up, and I can't wait! We are really in need of some rest and relaxation! I just hope I don't miss the kids too much...but I'm sure they won't even realize we're gone, since they've got grandparents to keep them busy!

19 comments:

cori said...

wow, looks like you've been busy corey! you deserve a vacation. ;) love the new stuff, the paintings are amazing!

Kari said...

Great to hear from you! Wow, what a fun variety of things you've been up to. The paintings are absolutely gorgeous. Great work! Love the sewing project and of course your baby journals are wonderful. Happy 1st birthday to Noah!! Take care:)
Kari

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Look at all the beautiful art you're churning out! Love those portraits: your family will be treasuring those for years to come.

Goodwill has been good to you!

Glad you've found some balance in your life, loosened those blogging shackles :)

I continue to love leafing through your lovely book.

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

oooh!! love your projects!! fabulous as always!! Adore the bday pressie for Naoh! I hope he had a great day!! xo Britt

lindaharre said...

So glad to see that you are O.K. and so productive!!!! WOW, you have been busy! I certainly understand about putting a limit on the computer time.....I probably need to do the same:D Love your creations as always.....hugs, Linda

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Love the new journal pages and the portraits are wonderful!! What a lucky find with that dresser!
Michelle

A bird in the hand said...

One year old already! Happy Birthday to Noah xoxo. You captured both boys beautifully in their portraits. I noticed from earlier photos that Riley looks so much like you and Noah look so much like his papa.

Anonymous said...

Corey, those are beautiful portraits you painted of your kids! what treasures they are, for all involved, for sure! and I think you captured that special "twinkle" most kids at that age have. Thank you for sharing with us here in blogland...you are such an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Goodwill is my friend too!

Always enjoy your artwork so very much. I keep your book out at all times for quick inspiration.

Thank you for that...

Andrea Singarella said...

the boys' portraits are just incredible! You are so talented, and I have been endlessly inspired by your book!

Roben-Marie said...

Hey, Corey! Nice portraits! They are lovely! Hope you are adjusting to life in Jacksonville. Don't miss shopping at the St. Johns Towne Center if you haven't been yet! Take care! RM :)

Kimla Kay said...

Happy Birthday, Noah! Oh, to be able to paint. Just...wow...simply wow! As always, I am lusting after your journal pages of the boys...they are always so unique and fresh. So great! I'm ready for book number two...no need for words, just give us pictures!

Tara's Art Camp said...

Love your paintings, they look wonderful.

marilyn said...

Corey,
The portraits of your boys are beautiful! And, yes you did capture their personalitys in each one.

I hope you and hubby have a great trip to Jamaica.
Remember to relax, and focus on yourselves. It's easy to miss the kids,( i know from experience). But, now is the time to just draw close as a couple and lavish all that attention on each other.
Your husband won't want to come back home.
love, marilyn

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to see what you've been up to. The paintings of the boys are lovely and I really love the house bag.

Amy said...

Do you ever do any teaching at scrapbook art stores? I would love to talk to you about your work sometime. Please feel free to contact me. Thank you!! :)

Tricia said...

corey! wow! you have been productive. :) i am absolutely floored with everything. especially the portraits of the boys. they are both taking my breath away. oh my goodness, you have such a talent!

Mel♥ said...

o corey they are lovely!! i wanted to share with you that i read your article and i agree... allthou i will still use my fairies and crowns because i do love them but i am incorporating my children in them as well.... what am i doing all this art for of old pics of strangers. i would prefer to make memories of my kids... because of you i have changed the way i do my art and want to thank you by adding something on my blog for you! please stop by to take a peak!
melissa
http://alterediva.blogspot.com/

Kristi said...

I just picked up Somerset Studio for the first time because I would love to learn how to make the beautiful collages (I'm getting tired of the look of my regular scrapbooking). I found your article and later your book and you are inspiring! Your baby albums are beautiful and I love how they relate to your life (I love the look of collage but need to have personal meaning in my scrapbooking). Anyway, your creations are amazing!

Kristi