Pages

Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Love of Art

Recently, Riley has begun developing an interest in "doing art". I have a set of the Crayola Color Wonder markers (that only write on special paper) and a whole pile of those foam stickers that are so popular (if you've got kids, you know what I'm talking about, if not, take a look next time you're at a craft store- they've probably got a whole aisle devoted to them!). Anyway, his version of doing art is to scribble with the markers, then put about 20 of those foam stickers on the page and call it done. Really, about every "piece" he does looks about the same, but I love them anyway!

I just can't tell you how excited I am to instill a love of art in my children. I just think it will be so wonderful to grow up in a house with an open-minded attitude toward, and a love for, art. In my own childhood home, I was certainly encouraged to be creative, but I wouldn't consider our family to be terribly "into" art. We didn't have a variety of artwork hanging on the walls, a space devoted to making art, or an open-minded attitude as to what art is. I just hope that being in a home with these things will nurture my childrens' artistic souls even more.

I'm terribly worried that my kids will rebel and not want anything to do with art, since their uncool mom likes it. But hopefully, by not pushing too much, I can avoid that. I guess only time will tell...

So anyway, here is a spread about the beginning of that journey for Riley:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the pages you made. I like how the photo of Riley works into it so well.

Tara's Art Camp said...

Just don't freak out when he starts drawing everything in black. My son did that for a period and I was so worried I talked with a child psychologist. As it turnes out , the black is for them, making a statement, a strong bold color. Its a good thing! It also means they are confident!

Anonymous said...

oh, my kids loved the same thing at that age--foam stickers and everything. My son would line them up in neat little rows all across the page until it was completely covered. My daughter would tear them to pieces and cover them with glue just to be safe. I feel the same way about passing on a love for art to my kids. That and books. I agree about the black, too. My son loves brown & black. Colored everything brown &/or black. I thought children were supposed to like colors! He's slowly getting out of that phase, though. Now he is adding a little yellow on occasion ;-)