Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Lil' Vintage Story Books #28


Welcome again to Lil' Vintage Story Books, where we share our favorite vintage children's books!


 I found today's book out thrifting this week, and all I can say is, "How have I not seen this book before?"  It's called "The Animal Fair", by Alice and Martin Provensen (no illustrator listed), and published originally in 1952.  I have a reprint here- I wasn't lucky enough to find a vintage copy.

This book has got the cutest illustrations throughout!

 It's a long book (60 pages), and is broken into smaller stories and poems about animals.

 Everything is just so whimsical and fun!


 I love these guys on the left page.

 This poor tiger- nobody wants to come to his party!


 I absolutely love this spread!  No story, no poem, just an illustration of birds flying south in the Fall.

 This bear is prepared!  Notice how his clock is labeled for the seasons!

 Even the end pages are lovely!  Oh, those little buildings and that fox- swoon!




Thanks for stopping by! If you'd like to join in, grab a button to the right and link up below!

5 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a fabulous book. Those are fantastic illustrations. The bear hibernation is just delightful. I didn't get a chance to scan a book this week, we're getting ready to head to the upper peninsula of MI so that I can teach. I'm sneaking a quick peek at your blog before we head out. Love it!

Have a fantastic weekend.
Happy Mother's day!

My Vintage Mending said...

Oh this is another one I have to find. Love the pen illustrations behind the animals. How sweet a husband and wife or sister and brother wrote this. Beautifully illustrated and written...Smiles...Renee

vintage grey said...

I love this book!! Love all the sweet animals, and the illustrations are amazing!! Thanks for sharing!! I'll be keeping my out for this one!! Happy Mother's Day!! xo Heather

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Hello! Wonderful! Love these illustrations!
The idea of this party is showing the book with details, isn't it? In some of my posts I show some of them together with my dishes but not page by page, can I join too? Be free to tell me, no problem!
Besos (kisses) from Argentina. Silvina.

GardenOfDaisies said...

Corey, Alice and Martin Provensen were the illustrators.(Yes, a husband and wife team) I love their work!!!