Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Another Spread in Noah's Book

Here's a spread in Noah's book about how, although he looks like his brother at times, he is still uniquely "Noah". I'm happy with how it came out. The colors look prettier in real life, but my camera just does not seem to be able to capture them, even though I've tried taking photos in three different lighting situations...

As I said, I do like this spread, but it brought up some design questions for me. I used mass-produced chipboard "flourishes" from the scrapbook department on this piece, and although I love the way they look, I worry that they take away from my own style, since scrapbookers everywhere are using them. I kind of hate using items that are so readily available for fear that my work won't be unique. Is my work starting to look too common? I don't know- it's hard to be objective when you've looked at your own work for so long. I just so much want my work to be my own and not to look like everyone else's.

Anyway, those are just my insecurites for the day. I'm sure that Noah doesn't care if my work looks like anyone else's, as long as it's expressing my feelings for him...

6 comments:

A bird in the hand said...

I like these a lot! They're very much "you." I really don't think using a few chipboard flourishes are going to detract from your style.

I try to stay away from ready-made, scrapbook doodads, but occasionally I'll see some touches that fit in nicely with my collage work.

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Such beautiful precious pages. I'm loving your unique choice of colours. Subtle and cozy :)

Jamie said...

Your work is always unique and beautiful. I think it's fine that you used the chipboard. I can't stay away from Basic Grey and Daisy D's scrapbook paper. Just Can't Help Myself!!! LOL! Your style does not look like anyone else's. Don't you worry. I know what you mean about Noah looking like his brother, but still being him and different. Sometimes my three year old says something or makes a facial expresson and I can totally see his older brother. Pretty cool:)

Tricia said...

corey, i don't think that by using the store-bought piece it takes away from your style/art. you are so unique in your expression. somehow you make these purchased pieces look not purchased at all. your work always strikes a chord in my heart. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Corey! I love your art and this piece is no exception. I do art as well and I have thought about your dilema over using the mass produced items. I am writing to point something out. Everytime you look at this piece, that same question will go through your head.Those little items framing Noah's face will call to you. In your description of the piece, your art intuition is laid out for all of us to see and acknowledge. The question is, how much is this going to bother you? Can you live with it? I hope this helps. Sarah

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your work recently and really love it. I love the artistic and yet handmade feel to it. You can just see the love you put into it. Several years ago I stopped scrapbooking after finding that designing had taken all the heart out of it for me. I've always had a hard time integrating SB with my "art" but I would rather use my own images than others' and my family is my life so that's what I have pictures of! You've given me the idea of integrating that into my art journals more. It makes sense and would be so much more natural. Anyway, I love your beautiful pages and am looking forward to reading the ideas you have in your book as well. Thanks for sharing ;-)