Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Lil' Vintage Story Books #1


Hello!  Welcome to our first edition of Lil' Vintage Story Books!  I'm so excited to try out this new feature.  As I mentioned in my last post, I just love vintage picture book illustration, and would love some others to share it with!
 

Whenever I go to the thrifts, I'm always on the lookout for vintage children's books.  My eyes scan over the countless Dora books, the tons of half-used coloring books, the dozens of Disney "push the button to make the sounds" books, and they zone in on the goldmines- the ones with the worn bindings, the Little Golden Books, the Weekly Readers, you know the ones!  And when I bring them home and say, "Mommy got some new books!", the kids come running!  Well, maybe not running, but they do like it when I get new books...! 


For this first post, I have taken photos of several illustrations in one of our favorite vintage books.  In most cases, I cropped out the text, so you could see the illustrations better.  But let me know if you'd rather see the whole page with text in the future.  Feel free to link up with your own favorites as well!  I'd love to find some "new" books that I haven't run across yet!


Our sweet little LVSB mascot to the left comes from the first book I've chosen.  The title is "The Magic of Everyday Things".  It's by Seymour Reit, and the illustrations are by June Goldsborough.  It's actually part of a larger set called Adventures in Discovery Program by Western Publishing Company.  The copyright is 1963.  It's a wonderful little set, with several beautiful books, many of which I'm sure you'll see here in the future!


 The thing I love most about these illustrations is the little girl's clothes- oh, those pants!!


 The colors in this one...pinks, rusts, yellows, magentas, then the little touch of baby blue...

Her sweet little top and jumper...

 A phone with a cord?  What's that??

 That cute striped art smock makes me want to paint, too!


 So much to love in this one- the pink kitty cat, the hat box, the little toy refrigerator, and those pants again!


Well, I hope you enjoyed my first installment!  Please feel free to let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to see- I'm open to different ideas! 

Grab a button to the right if you'd like, and share your own posts down below if you'd like to join in!








10 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

Corey you have hit such a soft spot for me. One reason for the indoor remodel...my love of all things book! This is so darling. Words so sweet and simple with illustrations to match. I adore her winter coat. I love this and cannot wait to join...Thanks for sharing...smiles...Renee

Anonymous said...

love!!

Mary said...

Corey I love vintage childrens books (just ask Renee). I love the sweet illustrations you have shared. I am now a new follower. Can't wait to see more. BTW your blog is the cutest !

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh how cool is it that the week I posted about my very own Little Golden Books that my mother read to me, you host a vintage book party! I'm so linked up and loving it! Thanks for hostessing my kinda party.

Carly said...

Hello
Love your idea Lil Vintage Story books! I look forward to sharing! Happy weekend from a new follower!
Carly

OliversForest said...

love it indeed!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Corey, I'm Holly! I saw the link to your party over at Vintage Mending Renees.

This sort of thing is right up my alley! Yes, I alwyas notice the clothes first and then the home decor that's included in some of the illustrations, too. I'll have to get to scanning some of my pages and join in!

(I like to see the words!)

Thanks for hosting! ♥

Anonymous said...

I love her little round travel case thingy! I would love to have one of those! ♥

elizabeth said...

Lovely idea Corey! I can't wait to participate in this. The illustrations you posted make my heart melt- so sweet!
~ elizabeth

Unknown said...

Corey, I love this linky so much. I have been away this weekend but I will be joining in next Friday for sure.
I love your featured book this week. I have a very dear red headed friend and these images remind me so much of her as a child.