Pages

Friday, March 03, 2006

Baby Prints

Well, this wasn't what I intended to work on today, but I'm glad it's what I ended up doing. When Riley was a few days old, Jason and I took on the task of getting his handprints and footprints for his baby album. Boy, what a task! I don't know how those nurses at the hospital do it every day! So, thinking ahead, I decided to make a couple extra sets as long as the ink was out. I thought I'd maybe like to use the prints for some art. You know, you see baby handprints and footprints all the time, on stamps or cards, etc., but when they're your own baby's prints, they are just too adorable for words, aren't they? I just can't get over how cute the little prints are!

So I've been holding onto this paper with the prints on it, knowing that I should do something with it, but never actually doing it. I couldn't ever decide what form of art I should do- a wall hanging? a page in his journal?

I bought this cute little hanger the other day, and it was lying on my art table when I went into the studio. For some reason, I decided to try the handprints page with it. The scale was really nice, so I went with it. Of course, I had to use all of the new fabrics and trim that I bought last week, and don't they look sweet? My original idea was to sandwich the whole thing in vinyl and sew around the edges when finished, but when I did it, I didn't like the glare of the vinyl, so I took it back apart. I'm a little worried about everything being exposed, but I think I'll deal with it for now. If it looks like it's getting damaged, I'll decide what to do. (I guess I'd really better keep an eye on it! As I was just writing this, my cat jumped up on the couch and walked right across the piece of art! No damage though...)

Anyway, I'm happy with the way it turned out, and happy that I finally found something to do with the page of baby prints I'd made!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corey, its wonderful!!! I regret never getting my daughters prints, you are so thoughtful! And I am glad you didn't use the vinyl, much more natural looking now. Love the fabrics too...

Gillian said...

I have to say that this is STUNNING. It is truly a piece of art and priceless. I LOVE the vintage feel to it!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I like it without the vinyl as well. So sweet!!!