Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Roll Over!

Noah surprised us by rolling over a couple weeks ago, about a week before his three month birthday. Riley didn't roll until five months, so Noah's getting a head start on his big brother! So I decided to commemorate the milestone with a journal spread, obviously.

I have to tell you though, the was one of the hardest spreads I've done in a very long time. I came this close (imagine me holding my fingers really close to each other!) to chucking the whole thing in the trash, because I was just hating it. But this really goes against my whole art-making philosophy. For the most part, I don't necessarily think hating your art is a bad thing. Hating a piece will often push you to a new place and force you to try things you may not have tried otherwise. And so I literally never give up on a piece-I can't even remember the last time I threw something away- I always work through the problem I have until I like it.

However, in this case, I really did come close to giving up. Something about it just was not working for me, and it seemed everything I did made it worse. The book I'm working in is a little larger than Riley's books, and I'm having a difficult time with the size.
But anyway, after a couple hours of struggling, I finally got it to a place where I like it. I'm glad I didn't toss it, because I really would have felt guilty about that decision for some reason. It's certainly not my favorite piece, but at least it got there on its own volition, if that makes sense!
Oh, and by the way, thanks so much for all the support for my Flickr page! I'm loving all the comments and the "favorite-ing" going on!! Once I learn my way around the site a bit more, I'll start taking a look at all your pages, too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beyond sweet!

Jamie said...

I can honestly say that this is one of my favorites. I love the color combinations. They really complement each other. What a cutie rolling over:) Jamie

Heather Simpson-Bluhm said...

I'm glad you didn't chuck it too because I think its amazing and I love the unique color palette!!