Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Little Organization

I've got an odd little wall in our kitchen that can't take a tall piece of furniture because of the light switch in the middle of the wall.  I've also got two kids in preschool (who bring home LOTS of paperwork) and my own miscellaneous papers to deal with.  It was time to do something about it!


I already had the chest from HomeGoods, which holds kitchen things, but I needed something functional on the wall above it for all the paperwork.  I found these file boxes at Target.

The file boxes were from the Martha Stewart Living collection, but I can't find any photos online to show what they originally looked like...  But anyway, they were originally just solid colors- teal, green, and brown. 

I covered them in scrapbook papers, and added little nameplates to the front.  My husband put grommets on the top so that they'd hang on the wall.

 They each have three "slots" for papers or files, etc.- plenty of room!

 I also bought some coordinating decorative file folders from Tuesday Morning to further organize each "slot".


So now I've got something that is functional, pretty, unique, and fits around the random light switch!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Fabulous idea! Much better than a boring tack board. (Also much better than moving a cabinet in and out to flip a light switch!) Inspiring, thanks!

Babsarella said...

What a terrific idea!!!

Regina said...

LOVE those file boxes! I recently became obsessed with some super cute and stylish file folders from http://www.sortingwithstyle.com and can't stop staring at them!

love your blog btw!

Miss M. said...

You said they were original solid colors. What did you use to add the patterns?