Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Boys' New Shared Room

As I've mentioned before, when Riley turned five (October), we moved the two boys into a shared room and turned Riley's old room into a playroom.  Which meant I had some re-decorating to do in both "new" rooms. Here is the reveal of their new bedroom!

The color scheme of the room is inspired by the painting above.  I found it a couple years ago at Goodwill (for only $12!), and couldn't pass it up!  It's an original painting depicting two boys flying kites in a field-perfect for their room! We got navy blue bunk beds, and I chose orange and green colors from the painting for the walls.

This is the view of the room as you walk through the door.

And here's the left-hand wall and the bed.

A closer shot of the wall. As you can see in the previous photo, it's pretty tight next to the bed, and there are drawers over there, so everything on the wall had to be pretty shallow.  But it turned out to be the perfect place to put a book sling!   There are tutorials for these all over the web, but I just sort of made up my own version, and it turned out great!

The beds again...

This chalkboard was another fantastic thrift find.  It's wonderfully aged, and has the chalk ledge attached.   I found it while I was in the midst of doing the room, and it was the perfect addition!  You can see a couple of our chore charts up there!

And wouldn't you know it, but probably a week after finding the first chalkboard, I found a second, identical one in half the size!  I had to get it.  For right now, I propped it behind their little table, but it will probably end up in the playroom soon...  As you can see, I also made a valance to match the book sling.

Here is their shared dresser.  I considered repainting it (it's had the same finish through four different room re-dos!), but I'm kind of too lazy, and it actually matches pretty well!  The large letters are just repainted from their old rooms, and then I display their current scrapbooks/journals up there as well.
Wrapping back around the room...

Then, we end up back at the door.  I repainted the little shelves from Riley's old room, and have various little mementoes displayed there.  You can see the shoe hanger from a while ago- it's still in use, although their shoes barely fit into the pockets anymore!

These last two photos just show the boys' individual spaces.  Riley's on the top bunk, since he's oldest. 

And Noah's on the bottom bunk.  I got them each the little wall pockets (from Ikea), so they can store various things in their own space.  It's funny what sort of things show up in the pockets!  Their bedspreads are both secondhand.  I found Noah's at a thrift store, and found Riley's on Ebay to "match".   I loved the idea of vintage bedspreads that didn't match (like in Danielle Thompson's sons' room), so this was my version.  At some point, I may make quilts for them, but for now, this works great!

And that's it!  We're all really enjoying their new room.  It's grown-up enough, yet still fun for them.  And having most of the toys out of their bedroom makes it so much more peaceful in there as well.

Hope you liked it!


Sarah said...

Looks great!

Susan Cepin said...

Beautiful! I love the color scheme and all the nifty storage nooks!

pam said...

just like everything you make, i love your new painting/pages. and your kids are sooooo big now, and darling! xo