Pages

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Meet the Newest Members of My Growing Family

Happy new year! I hope you all had a great holiday season. Ours was lots of fun, but I think we were
all ready for school to start again today, kids included! Well, as I was hoping, I got some extra-special gifts for Christmas this year, and I thought you'd like to see!
 
 First I will introduce you to the sweet little Keystone house above. Several months ago, I saw this dollhouse on craigslist close to my mother's house (in N. Carolina)  for $40.  I let my mother know about it, and told her it would be a great Christmas present for me (hint, hint!). It has been in the back of my mind since then, and as you can see, she took the hint!
 
 It is in pretty decent condition. As you can tell, the door is in need of some work and the roof is a little warped, but those are minor details.
 
I was excited to see that this house has a built in fireplace...
 
…and kitchen cabinets. It is wired for lighting, and my husband thinks he may be able to make it workable again.  Overall, it's a really cute house, and I'm excited to start decorating!
 
 
As if the first house weren't enough, I was also lucky enough to receive this nice one made by Rich.  This one I actually knew about beforehand.  I saw it in an estate sale listing near my mother's house, and I asked her to check it out. It was only $15 (!!), so I told her to snatch it up!  She saved it until Christmas, so I was lucky enough to get them both on the same day!
 
 It's got a real simple interior, which is in good shape.
 
My favorite feature is the lift-up roof.  I'm not sure if this was factory, or an adjustment made by the previous owner, but it's very handy to have access from the front.  Since these photos, I've fabricated new acetate windows to fill in the empty holes.  Overall, another really cute house to add to my collection!
 
 
 And what a collection it's becoming! I did some rearranging, and was able to fit the two new houses into my shelf space perfectly! 
 
 Every time I get a new dollhouse, I think there is no room for any more.  But somehow, I always manage to be able to squeeze more in!
 
 Here's the view with all of the fronts facing out.  So much prettier this way, but hard to decorate!
 
As you can see, it was a very nice Christmas for me.   Thank goodness my mother is usually willing to corroborate with me to find these dollhouses – my chances are doubled when I have two geographic locations within which to search!
 
Now it's time to start decorating the insides – eBay, here I come!
 
 

10 comments:

Simply Shelley said...

Can't wait to see how you decorate them and what families are privileged to live in them...have fun while you are at it. I told my son I wanted him to build me a simple four room dollhouse for Christmas,as I want to make an Amish home of it...his reply was Mama...you are 53...really? I said..yes son really...well I didn't get one. He knows me well and I think he will come up with one anyway..maybe :)
Blessings on your new year.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

What a wonderful collection! I look forward to seeing how you decorate them!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Since our email conversation, I've been eager to see your latest acquisitions. Both my girls were huddled around my laptop to see your sweet new houses. How fun! Your collection is just darling. They look perfect in your studio. I seriously understand the addiction. It's been a dollhouse Christmas break. The girls (even the teen) has been very happy to help play with miniatures. I've been crafting mini valentine chocolate boxes and mini valentines. Happy playing!

Unknown said...

Because of you Corey, I hope to own my own dollhouse soon! What beautiful additions. I love this style! Elizabeth

Laura said...

I love your dollhouse collection....what a lovely gift !I can imagine decorating will be alot of fun :)

Perfectly Printed said...

What wonderful Chrsitmas gifts!! Can't wait to see how you fix them up!

chris

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Hi there, first time at your lovely blog, love your two doll houses! They make wonderful treasures! :) Happy weekend, hugs, Holly

Nan said...

I found you by way of E. over at Creative Breathing. Oh my I am drooling at all you doll houses and the clever way you display them. I like this idea. When I had cabinets made I just though to set them up on top across the long area there but you can't see them well and have to stand on a chair to see the insides. I wanted to tell you I have this latest doll house you have. Actually it's more like the one at the bottom of your arrangement there. It was given to me by Santa around 1948. Nan

OliversForest said...

amazed at your collection!

GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh my goodness, all your doll houses are just so sweet! And I can't believe you found two new ones for such great prices before Christmas! WONDERFUL finds!