Pages

Friday, April 28, 2006

Corners of My Home

So first I'd like to say thank you to all who commented on yesterday's post, encouraging me with the painting. I really have felt lately that my art needed to move in a new direction. Maybe this is what I've been needing. However, it's going to be a real challenge. Like I said yesterday, it's difficult for me to mix both painting and collage. I feel a little uncertain of where to even begin! In a way, it's delving into a completely new artform, which is scary! And I certainly don't want to abandon collage, because I love it so... Well, as always, I'll keep you updated on my progress!

And so, as promised, here is my corner, a day late. This is a newly decorated spot above my art table in our guest room. As you can see, there are a variety of items up here.

First we have two pieces of art. The one on the right is one I did, and the one on the left is from so long ago, I don't even remember where I got it. It's not even an original, just a copy, but I just really like the nurturing pose that the figures are in, so I've always had it displayed.

Then there is an old piece of ceiling tin that I got from a salvage yard. Jason absolutely hates it, so it can't ever be displayed out in our main rooms. Fine with me though, because I can put it in my "studio".

Next are a series porcelain head vases. These come from my grandmother. She unfortunately suffered a stroke last December, and as a result, will have to spend the rest of her life in a nursing home. Just recently, relatives had to go and clean out her apartment and designate what would be saved and what would be sold. She collected head vases, and I was able to acquire this group. They're so sweet, and a great reminder of my grandmother!

The photo is of me as a little girl, and one that I've always liked. The crow figure is one Jason gave me last Christmas. The "1" tile is one I got on Ebay, and to me represents being the firstborn child. And the porcelain woman is one I've had since my childhood, although I can't remember where it came from.

At some point in the near future, I plan to paint the drawers all these are sitting upon, but I'm not sure which color yet... So there you have it, another corner of my home!

2 comments:

Rosa said...

I love it. I especially love the black bird. How lucky of you to inherit your grandmother's vases. So very pretty. I am sorry to hear about her stroke.

Anonymous said...

Delightful Corey, I love your sense of display, did I already tell you that? How sweet to have the head vaces there as a reminder, I have plates that my grandmother painted by my bedside, for the same reason!