Pages

Sunday, January 08, 2012

The Monkey Wants a Penny, The Penny Got Spent

My boys often ask to do art projects, but I admit that usually, I don't feel like dealing with the mess that would bring, so I set them up with something easy like stickers or markers.  But one day last month, I thought I'd have them do a "real painting" like Mommy does.  And it turned out surprisingly well!

First, I had them each choose 3-4 images out of some of my vintage image stash.  After they glued them down, I mixed up some paints in colors that matched the colors in the images and suggested they add the paint in areas around the images.  Once the paint was dry, they added details with pencils and some watercolor crayons.  Here is the result:

 The title is "The Monkey Wants a Penny, The Penny Got Spent".  Riley is very into money and coins right now, thus the theme that emerged with the piece.

 It works perfectly in their bedroom above these hooks from Hobby Lobby! 

 They are very proud of their piece, as you can see!

 And I'm very proud of them as well!  This really was their own creation- I honestly only offered a few suggestions as to how to balance colors, etc.  In fact, I think I could take away a few pointers from their piece!  I just adore the free-ness and unabandoned quality in children's art...

 I know they would really enjoy it if you guys showed these budding artists some love.  I told them I was going to show their painting on the computer, and they were pretty excited!

And really, how can you resist such awesome dudes as these, am I right?

9 comments:

kandeland said...

this post is just so sweet! their faces are just cute beyond words! xo
natalea

My Vintage Mending said...

Oh how I love the enthusiasm of boys. This is a wonderful piece. I like how they pulled some of your art into theirs and just let it go freely. But I think the best part is that they shared. My boys are long past the stage of sharing...Great job boys...truly awesome...Renee

Kari said...

Wow, I LOVE their painting. Really, really love it. Great job, boys!!! Love how they got their inspiration from seeing your art and went their own way with it. What a treasure!!!
Kari

Daniele Valois said...

they did a fantastic job, and it is so you! One of my daughters always creates like I do.

hayley said...

nice work guys! i love it!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Bravo!! Well done, boys! Your work is amazing and you should be so proud. How wonderful that they are sharing your artist passion, Corey. Josie and I had a crafting marathon session on Saturday. Lots of glue, sequins and pom poms.

Have a lovely week ahead!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

wow, the painting your sons made is awesome! good job with the mixed media collage, boys!

A bird in the hand said...

They talent is showing. I'm really, really impressed! Big hug to them both.

Kimla Kay said...

Hey Riley and Noah, Your painting is super awesome and totally rocks!! It's so cool how you used the monkey picture and the parrot and all the coins. I really like how you painted around the pictures and the edges. You guys are fantastic artists!! Thanks so much for sharing.