Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

Lil' Vintage Story Books #21


Welcome again to Lil' Vintage Story Books, where we share our favorite vintage children's books!

Today's book is just wonderful.  It's called "I Can Fly", written by Ruth Krauss, and illustrated by the fabulous Mary Blair.  It was originally published in 1951, although my copy is a very new reprint.

Mary Blair's illustrations are just breathtaking in this book.  This first page just stills my heart every time I look at it!!  

Her color combinations are so wonderful.  In fact, once I publish this post, I may go "pin" some of the images into my "Color Combos" board!

 Love how her little dress matches the chicken!

 So, so cute!

 Look at the details on the plates up on the shelf from the above spread!

 Such pretty designs on the clam shells!

 I adore everything about these pages- all the patterns, the kitties, the colors- just wonderful!! 

Couldn't you just live forever in a world created by Mary Blair??  I could!



*** I will be skipping next week's Lil' Vintage Story Books (March 23rd), but will be back the following week ***



Thanks for stopping by! If you'd like to join in, grab a button to the right and link up below!


5 comments:

My Vintage Mending said...

Corey. a new favorite illustrator. This is beautiful. Each over exaggerated line is wonderful. Thank you for the introduction. Smiles...Renee

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a sweet little girl image! She's just delightful. A fabulous illustrator. I definitely want to find more her work.

Stacy Hart said...

this is one of LM's very favorite books!

Daniele Valois said...

holy moly, I think that is the cutest one I've seen yet! I love love love it. So colorful and such a cute face!

vintage grey said...

This is such a sweet and beautiful book! The colors are so stunning! I saw your blog from the most lovely Miss Renee's blog, My Vintage Mending, and knew I had to come over! Love you blog, and I am your newest follower!