Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Avery's Room Addendum

Well, hello!  I know it wasn't very nice of me to post all those photos of Avery's room, and then disappear for a week.  We went out of town for Spring Break, and the highlight of my day was checking in and seeing everyone's sweet comments about her room!  Several of you asked questions about things, so I'll try to answer them here.  But before I do that, I'll show you what has already changed about the room since our return!

Avery now has a sweet little toy chest by her window!  Isn't it just wonderful???

On our trip, I went to probably 6 different antique malls, and can you believe that this was the only item I bought?  There was seriously just nothing I liked anywhere!  But that's okay, because the fabulous-ness of this piece makes up for the slim pickings!

 It was only $30, which I thought was pretty inexpensive for a nice wooden piece, and what's so nice is that it doubles as a little seat for her!  And of course, look how many Meyercord decals!  Five!  I am SUCH a sucker for vintage nursery decals!

So, now onto some of your questions.  I had several people ask about the paper doll on her wall.  Really, this was just a lucky Ebay find a few years ago.  I frequently look for vintage paper dolls there, and just happened upon this GIANT one!  But you could probably make your own by taking a smaller one and making enlarged copies of it at the copy shop...

I also had questions about how I hang some of the things on the wall.  Well, really, I am not the best person to ask about this.  Honestly, most things are just hung with regular nails.  If I were to ask my husband to do it, he would use huge dry-wall anchor screws that make a mess of the walls.  And I like to rearrange frequently, so I try to avoid that.  So, it's probably not the best way, but I haven't had anything fall, so I'll stick to it for now!!

And finally, the bed.  It used to be just a regular white toddler bed from Babies R Us (these kinds are a dime a dozen at thrift stores around here).  You can see pics in this post.  But I knew I wanted something more vintage-y for Avery's room.  So I spray-painted it (I used Montana Spray Paint in Malachite- I had to order it online), then distressed it.  The "decals" are actually not decals, but are images printed out and decoupaged onto the bed.

So there you have it!  I hope I answered all your questions, but feel free to ask if you have any more!  If you missed the original room tour, you can find it here.


6 comments:

Family Valois said...

oh please come help me make my house darling! :D

btw, I did another painting with cardboard carvings if you want to see.

Family Valois said...

oh my gosh, Corey, I am on the wrong setting. You know my real blog is CreatingLearningFlying. Oh, this one is so old I forgot all about it. I think my daughter changed the setting so she could see her blog. Funny! That pic just took me by surprise.

Musings from Kim K. said...

What a darling toy chest. It's perfect for Avery's room.

Welcome back!

Holly Loves Art said...

Everything is so precious... so beautiful. You have such a happy home! Have a wonderful weekend and enjoy the Springtime!
Holly

My Vintage Mending said...

It is so nice to see you did come home with something. I know I have had poor luck on vacation hunting as well. I am quite sure if you look closely you will find Avery's name carved into that chest. Clearly it was meant to be. Still can't get over this gorgeous room. Smiles...Renee

vintage grey said...

Oh, what a sweet trunk and a beautiful addition to Avery's room!! Love the vintage bear decals. They are so adorable!! :) xo Heather