Pages

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

More Questions Answered

Here is a spread I did in Avery's book this morning.  It's about her transition to a big girl bed.  Can I just say that I LOVE this color palette?  It just came about naturally with the photo and the vintage images, and I totally love it!  It's not showing up on my computer quite as nicely as it does in person, but it's just yummy!

It's interesting because I am in the process of painting her toddler bed a very similar green to the above image!  I'll show you when it's done!


Since I'm showing a piece of art, I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer a couple more questions I've gotten that are art-related.  First, I'll answer this one from Sandy:

I love the pieces you used, like the vintage boy on the bike....where did you go to get that kind of ephemera????

Well, the ephemera I use is really the result of years of collecting, but my most common source is vintage books.  And I get those from all sorts of sources- thrift stores, antique stores, Ebay,... Depending on where you live, your local library may have an annual sale on their old books.  When I lived in Seattle, this was a great source for vintage books for cheap!  However, in Florida, not so much.  Another place I get vintage images is through vintage image CD's.  Take a look on Ebay (or maybe Etsy?).  This is a great way to get a large collection all in one place from someone else who has taken the time to scan them all in!

The next question is from Michelle:


How do you keep all your supplies organized and pretty?

So the answer to this may not be the best, but I am just innately an organization freak!  I LOVE organizing and sorting and finding a place for everything.  Nothing gets me more giddy than a cute container, seriously!  Usually I buy containers first, and THEN I decide what can go in them, which is sort of backwords, but that's how much a love a cute container!  I really believe in the saying, "A place for everything, and everything in its place!".  If you can live by that rule, it makes things so much easier!

However, even though that's a pretty generic answer , I thought you may like to see how my own supplies are organized.  These are just my paper-crafting supplies for the most part, and they're all within arm's reach of my work table.  In this post, you can see the whole area a bit better, if you want a better overview.

So above is the cabinet right behind my work station.  Hopefully you can see the little labels I wrote on the photo.  The above shelves have some sewing stuff in addition to the papercrafting stuff.

 And here is the bottom of that cabinet, which is where my most used items are.

 This is on my worktable.

And this is along the wall by my worktable.  As you can see, I use EVERY AVAILABLE INCH of space!  It's a tight room, so I need as much space as I can get!

Soooo, I hope all that info was helpful to some of you!  Stay tuned, and I'll show Avery's "new" toddler bed soon!

3 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I love seeing how you've organized all your special treasures for art projects. Any time I get a glimpse at your studio makes me happy.

My Vintage Mending said...

I desperately want to come and play with all those supplies. Right after I fall into that page of Avery's. Remember that movie or was it a story where you could step into the pages of a book. These pages are beautiful and capture this time for her perfectly. Smiles...Renee

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing your organization - I do a lot of collage with vintage paper and it's really helpful and inspiring to see how someone else manages this.
I refer to your book often, Corey. It's important to me because of your emphasis on accessing my own stories, symbols.
Faye
(in Minnesota)